If you are a beer lover and you are disheartened by the current lockdown, there is a solution that comes in the form of brewing your own beer at home. More and more beer-drinking Australians are turning to home brewing, which is also much cheaper than buying across the bar, and while it isn’t exactly easy, once you have the process nailed, you can brew some very tasty beers.
- Remember Sanitisation – Sanitisation begins before you even start brewing and only ends when the beer is bottled, so be meticulous about cleanliness and sterilisation, which is vital when the mix is cooling and fermentation has yet to begin. When you buy home brew kits online, check out the seller’s site, as they would have the best beer brewing advice there is, and what’s more it is free.
- Start with Darker Beers – If you start with a dark beer, these are much more forgiving, and the mistakes you invariably make will not really be noticed. No matter how careful you are, you will make mistakes and after 5-6 batches, you should be looking good and can start to home in on your favourite tastes.
- It’s All About the Ingredients – In much the same way the ingredients make the perfect meal, when brewing beer, it is essential to only use the best quality ingredients. Fresh hops can be stored in the freezer, yet crushed grain and barley will oxidise when stored, and that will impact the flavour.
- Glass Fermenters – When you buy cheap home brewing kits, they give you plastic buckets for fermenting, which are OK, but glass fermenters have several advantages; they are easier to clean, will last much longer and glass provides a better barrier against oxygen.
- Yeast Preparation – This is a key process, and the yeast needs nutrients and oxygen, if you want it to work its magic on your beer, with only the very best yeast to ensure a great tasting beer.
- Online Resources – The Internet is your classroom and a few Google searches will reveal the teachings of the brewing experts, who can save you a lot of time and money by getting it right first time.
Fortunately, there are great online home brew kit suppliers, and they have everything you need to make the best tasting beer, and as you become more proficient, you can be more ambitious and tailor the beer to suit your tastes.